Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Plans thwarted or just delayed?

I injured my knee yesterday morning when I went to go walking with my friend, Kim. We arrived at the church gym, turned on all the lights, and then we began to stretch out. I was on the floor and I began doing a butterfly with my legs, but I bent my right knee little too far and POP, my kneecap popped out again. I was even wearing my knee brace which doesn't usually let me bend it very far. So I was in pain on the floor while trying to figure out how to pop my knee cap back into place again. Kim brought me a chair so I could push myself off of the floor and turn around to support myself on the table that someone had left on the sidelines of the gym (thank you!). I managed to pop my knee cap again, into what I thought was the right place, but it hurt so bad still, almost worse than the first popping. I couldn't put pressure on it. I prayed for guidance. I'd been inspired before with how to fix it, but what came to my mind didn't work. My knee cap looks and acts like it's in the correct position, so I must have pulled the ligaments. I'm still in a lot of pain, and thanks to my husband and my in-laws, I have crutches to hobble around with. My sweetheart, David, took the day off yesterday to help me out. If he hadn't, I'm not sure I would have happily survived yesterday.

On top of having my injury, my two littlest ones have been throwing up this weekend, so there was a ton of laundry to do, even after doing puke wash on Sunday. I couldn't, and still can't, go up and down the stairs, so David did all the laundry for me. He even got the kids to put their clothes away. He's awesome! So far, my baby is the only one still throwing up (he hasn't since early this morning though...praying it stays that way), but he's showing signs of still feeling ill. He's slept most of the morning, but he doesn't have a fever...he's just really tired. He wakes up every 20-30 minutes to quietly sit or cuddle, but then he's out again. He had a rough night last night, but I didn't think it was that bad. This is so not like him. I think he has an earache too because after trying all we could to comfort him (cuddling, nursing, diaper change, bouncing, tylenol, teething gel [he's getting molars]), he was still screaming, that is, until I put some drops of warm breastmilk in his ear. He stopped screaming within a minute and hasn't complained about it since. He's decided to sleep instead.

Okay, I rambled on, and on there... So I'm trying to decide what to do about my exercise. I know I need to rest my knee and take care of it, otherwise no exercise program can make up for ruining my knee more. I'm eating well still. In fact, I probably eat better than normal since I have to ask for help to get the food. I've mostly stayed out of the kitchen.

Every once in a while I feel a little discouraged that this happened. I was finally back to exercising again! I'm a bit sad that I can't continue training to run part of the 5K in May. My plan all along was to do my best to run it, but I would be walking it at least. So, that's still my plan...to walk the 5K.

I'm also trying to be more upbeat instead of discouraged. I know that the changes I'm making are HUGE, and it will only thwart the plan of the adversary if I make them. So, while I try to find the good in this experience, I will envision myself walking with a healthy, strong knee at the 5K. I need lots of prayers to help that vision to come to fruition, and any positive energy you can send my way, please do! I'll get through this as I move forward with faith to a better, whole me!

5 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! It really stinks when we get into such good habits then an injury or illness makes us stop. Hang in there. Hope your knee feels better soon.
Path to Health

Mary said...

That sounds really painful!! Hope you get better soon! However you might want to take it easy on your knee with the exercise for a while >< This might not exactly be the positive support that you were looking for, but is it possible for you to look for another 5K contest in the summer, 2-3 months later?

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog sometimes
All you need is encoragement from others!!!
Hope your knee feels better soon. I messed
My knee up playing soccer in school over 10
Years ago and I've had problems ever since
I feel about 3 months and have had issues with
My leg ever since so I will pray your feeling better soon.

Brandi said...

Thank you, ladies! Actually, the only exercise I will be doing is walking when my knee can handle it. I know it needs time to heal. I really would like to do the mile walk at the Race for the Cure 5K if I can't walk the 5K due to my knee. I will definitely be doing my best to avoid further injury and let it heal if even the mile is unreasonable. I won't know until it gets closer though.

I've been sitting around a lot...which drives me nuts! I'll be taking it easy for myself. I need to. I know I need to allow for healing. I'm sure I'll be wearing a brace for a while yet.

MargieAnne said...

Look after that knee. Nothing stinks more as you grow older than an injury that comes back to haunt.

Sorry about the sicky children. Hope they are much better by now.

Blessings.